Thursday, July 30, 2009

Richard Avedon

I paint people whom I admire. Or, I admire their work. In this case, both. Avedon's photography has always fascinated me. Not as much for his glamour work. But more for his gritty real-life pieces. Born in New York City, I believe he remained faithful to his cosmopolitan roots by becoming an acclaimed fashion photographer for such publications as Vogue, Harper's and Life. Conversely, you truly get a sense of Avedon's great creative spirit in his book In the American West. Here, his work is much different and larger-than-life. Literally. His "west" pictures are often produced at sizes of 3-feet and larger. It's worth Googling. Having passed away in 2004, his work lives on at his foundation's web site.

1 comment:

  1. Love Avedon. Love your portrait of him. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete